Sunday, August 30, 2009

"When I have fears that I may cease to be" John Keats.

Death, an enormous word, a cruel meaning that provokes us fears because of our own end of life as well as our loved one’s death. Probably most of us think about death once a while, wondering what happens after death in order to find any convincing answer to this question that no philosopher, scientist or religious can answers us.
Keats poem “When I have fears that I may cease to be” perhaps shows us the immensity of death which leaves a person standing isolated and alone metaphorically on "the shore of the wide world”. Furthermore, this poem represents the worst fears that a young person has while thinking about his or her early decease. In my own case I have the same feelings that Keats captured in his poem, such as: “not having enough time to love another fully, or write till the point where his pen glean'd his teeming brain, or reaching the level of fame he has always desired”, to me those words represent all my horrible feelings when thinking about death, although those last lines of the poem are beautiful well written.

As I mentioned before through this poem we can figure it out that the author knew that he will die being a young man because of his disease, and what hurts him the most is not being able to write his poems which will lead him to fame, and the loss of his beloved one.

To conclude, I believe that it is important to see in this poem how Keats uses a sonnet to discuss human fears about death through his own different fears of death.

1 comment:

  1. I don't know what happened to your post because it just disappeared!!!!!
    Well, here you have another one.

    why do you think people are afraid of death? Could be because your body is not longer in this world, or for the mystery that is always surrounding death? Is faith a good shelter? What do you think?

    ReplyDelete