Sunday, September 13, 2009

Frankenstein by Mary Shelley.


While I was reading Frankenstein by Mary Shelley I had the opportunity to imagine the entire story and I felt like a little child while reading it, because I was able to open my mind and think as a kid who is always wondering why things happen.

According to the period in which Mary Shelley wrote Frankenstein, she was very influenced on the nature of Romanticism as well as her own experiences with life. If we think about the hidden message that Mary Shelley presented us in the book, we are going to realize that the story can be read as a tale of what happens when a man tries to create a child without a woman. Furthermore, the fact that the main character, Victor the modern scientist who created the monster was challenging the nature through his experiment represents how science and religion were confronting at each other, because it can be represented the powerful idea that man could change nature and being seen as God when having control of technology.


If we want to see the societal issues that Shelley depicted in her book, we just have to focus our attention in the main character, Victor, the modern scientist who unleashed upon an unsuspecting society. He was not fully aware of the consequences of his creation, the monster called Frankenstein, a new race of human beings. He spent his entire life trying to destroy the same creation. His excesses finally destroy him. From my point of view Victor represented the part of the psyche that is governed by the instinctive impulses of sex or aggression, as probably Freud could also describe him in his office.

To conclude I’d like to mention that I really like this book, because even though I’ve had read it before, this second time I could realized the context in which it was written. Besides, I also was able to open my mind and read as a child, due to the fact that through the image of Frankenstein I remembered the period when I was a child and as him I had to learn through my observations and by imitating what I saw, as well as Frankenstein Jr.

1 comment:

  1. You made some points that need more elaboration such as when the theme of God, Monster and being a child, how could you related these three elements? If Dr. Frankenstein created a monster and God created us, then who is the monster? Was the creature the responsible for the murders? Why?
    Take care,

    Claudia

    ReplyDelete